Friday 5 August 2011

The Silent Issue

It’s been more than a year since I have “blogged”. Well, I accept I am not an active blogger, but this issue specifically compels me to pen down my thoughts and vent out my frustration in Times New Roman.

Since January this year, all I have been hearing is Corruption, Anna Hazare, Lokpal. It seems like Rs. 1.76 Lakh Crore is giving jeepers to the Indian civil society and the activists. I think the attempt by Kapil Sibal and PM Manmohan Singh to expose the futility of this attempt is by rolling out a statement like “The Government exchequer has not lost anything by the 2G scam spectrum”. That statement seems a little far-fetched, but the fact, in my opinion, remains is that magnitude of efforts going in the case is futile. Especially when we know that the money is not coming back. Punishing the guilty for such heinous crimes is one thing, and politicising this issue on a national platform is another. Of course when the issue comes to coalition politics, there are bound to loop holes.

Of course, there is the media then. How else would we come to know what’s happening in that big
large red house in Delhi? TOI had a page dedicated to Lokpal for 2 weeks when Anna had gone on fast for the first time. Thousands joined, millions voted and SMSed (even gave a miss call). We were the innocent sheep for the media. I don’t blame them though, after all, it’s a business. They need to have something to feed us and in-turn feed their employees.

But, there is another pressing issue, silently creeping into our daily lives while we remain focused on Rs. 1.76 Lakh Crore. The issue is – rising costs. I have purposefully not termed the word as “inflation” because then I would find people saying that is in the limelight. When I entered my college 4 years ago, the Orientation Programme mentioned that Engineering students in Nirma get an average salary Rs. 3.0L p.a via campus placements. 4 years have passed, I landed with the same amount, and with me another 400 (approx). But in these 4 years, I have noticed the average price of Regular Gujarati Thali going up from Rs. 35 to 50, a price rise of 43%, Nirma fees going up from Rs. 27500 per semester to Rs. 73000 per semester, a price rise of 165%, average price of a 2-BHK in Ahmedabad (and many other cities) going up from Rs. 16L to Rs. 40L, a price rise of 150%. And the list goes on.

We have a 7.5% GDP growth on average for the last 3-4 years then why isn’t my salary increasing? Why does the cost always rise? The answer lies here: the GDP growth occurring in India is due to the top 0.2% of people, the industrialists, Tata, Ambanis, Adanis etc. Their revenue is increasing, but is that getting reflected on the salary? The salary hike is 10-12% once in 3 years, which is not enough to battle the rising costs.

The point I am trying to make is – I would be happy to rally myself for a fast that focuses on this issue, and with me may be another millions, because corruption, on an average, pinches lesser than the rising costs. The youth today needs to open its eyes to the reality today – is the GDP growth an overall one or a per capita one? It is true that India has the second highest growth rate in the world, but in terms of per capita, we lag far behind.

The power of democracy lies in the hands of people, and the primary function of the elected representatives should be prosperity of the nation. If these two facts are accepted true, well then, the government, the civil society, the media and the corporate honchos need to focus on this issue as well. That is all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment